Sunday, July 08, 2007

Computer Issue

The hard drive on which WitchCast's music is stored is making a strange sound. I believe it is simply the result of the spindle motor kicking on and off with the newer power saver settings, and that being amplified by an aluminum frame (all my previous computers have been steel). However, as a precautionary measure, I will be starting back-ups within 48 hours. After that, I will investigate the cause of the sound and the condition of the hard drive.
Heavier software (most of which has nothing to do with music) has also been stalling while the sounds are present, which is why I'm concerned. Especially since the software is stored on a separate pair of hard drives.
For whatever reason, this computer has never been able to access the SMART sensors I normally rely on. This may be caused by the RAID controller.

If this hard drive fails, as long as all the data is backed-up, we can run fine without it. Everything will just be slow until it is replaced.
Like I said, I don't believe that is the case.

I will keep you posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home